The Biodiversity Information Management and ICT Division was established in 2003 to coordinate documentation and dissemination of biodiversity information.
The primary functions of the divisions are to :
- Serve as the national clearing house for biodiversity information.
- Coordinate, collate and disseminate biodiversity information through the national biodiversity portal to enable development of effective conservation and sustainable use plans.
- Coordinate implementation and status reporting of obligations under regional and international conventions/treaties/protocols.
- Serve as the national reference centre for biodiversity related publications.
- Coordnate and facilitate development of databases, publications and information products, including provision of ICT services of the centre.
- Promote linkages with regional and international biodiversity information centres for effective information management.